The Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria has a Governing Council/Board. The Board of the Council is made up of nineteen (19) members, appointed by the Federal Government, on the recommendations of the Federal Ministry of Health. The Board formulates policies' that brings improvement to Nursing education and Nursing practice in Nigeria. The Secretary General/Registrar, who is the Chief Executive of the Council, gives effect to the policy decisions of the Council.
The Secretary General/Registrar is responsible for the day to day administration of the organization. She is also the Accounting officer of the organization. The Registrar is assisted by four Directors who are head of the Council’s four major departments, other cadres of Nursing officers and a multidisciplinary team of staff. There are presently 203 staff on the nominal roll of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
In the year 2001, the Council, after critical review of its activities by a team of Management experts from the Presidency, was upgraded from category 'C' to category 'B' Federal Health Parastatal. The new status of the Council has given rise to the creation of four major departments, namely, Education, Inpectorate, Planning, Research and Statistics, Human Resources /Finance & Accounts.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE BOARD OF THE NURSING AND MIDWIFERY COUNCIL OF NIGERIA
- THE CHAIRMAN who is appointed by the Honourable Minister of Health.
- THE HEAD OF NURSING SERVICES at the Federal Ministry of Health.
- FOUR NURSES each of whom shall be a Head of Nursing Services in the State Ministry of Health from the Four Health Zones on rotation among the States within each Zone.
- FOUR NURSES each of whom shall be an Educator in Nursing, Midwifery, Public Health Nursing and Psychiatric Nursing who will serve on rotation from the four Health Zones.
- TWO NURSES to represent the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives.
- TWO PEOPLE to represent Public Interest.
- TWO NURSES to represent Universities offering Degree Programmes in Nursing.
- ONE REGISTERED MEDICAL PRACTITIONER who shall be an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist.
- THE SECRETARY TO THE BOARD who is the Secretary-General/Registrar of the Council. The Council conducts its affairs through Standing Committees, which under the auspices of the Secretary-General, meet to deliberate on vital Professional, Educational and Administrative matters and make necessary recommendations to the Board.
The Standing Committees include:-
- Education Committee
- Examination Committee
- Registration Committee
- Finance and General Purposes Committee
- Standards and Accreditation Committee
- Appointment, Promotion and Disciplinary Committee
- Nurses and Midwives Disciplinary Tribunal