This division is under Education Department headed, by a Deputy Director who co-ordinates all activities relating to the conduct of the Final Qualifying Examinations of the Council.
For ease of function the unit is divided into three (3) sections viz:
- Post Basic
- Host Examination Committee meeting of the Council
- Organizes Biennial examiners’ workshop, to update the knowledge and skills of current and prospective examiners in the assessment of students in the classroom/clinical setting during the period of training
- Liaises with Education Department to ensure that only qualified candidates are presented for any of the Council's Examinations.
- Liaises with Indexing Division to ensure that only qualified candidates are presented for any of the Council's Examinations.
- Recommends suitable Council Examiners to the Secretary General/Registrar.
- Ensures that there is adequate supply of questions in the Council's question bank for all examinations and other related documents.
- Monitors all activities related to the preparation and distribution of examination materials to all examination centres.
- Co-ordinates the central marking of examination answer sheets.
- Liaises with all heads of Schools for, the maintenance and compilation of the continuous assessment records of all Candidates for the examination.
- Monitors new trends in tests and measurements and makes recommendation for the adoption of such measures as tools for assessment of Candidates.
- The division conducts four examinations in a year as follows;
The functions include:
1. March – Professional Qualifying Examination for Midwives (2nd Tuesday)
2. May - Professional Qualifying Examination for General Nurses (1st Tuesday)
3. September - Professional Qualifying Examination for Midwives (2nd Tuesday)
4. November - Professional Qualifying Examination for General and Post Basic Nurses (1st Tuesday)
Conduct of Examination - Processes
- Completed hard copy Applications are received from various schools of training within 4 - 6 weeks of release of results.
- Grace period of 1 week for late application with penalty.
- Documentation of application form in the unit’s register.
- Checking of indexing: Names, Sex, and Numbers.
- Checking of attempts: No. of sitting.
- Opening of the examination E-portal for application to commence.
- Nomination of Script Markers and Oral/Practical examiners.
- Comprehensive budget proposal for the entire examination.
- Packing of examination materials for the various schools/centres.
- Despatch to Zonal offices a week before the examination.
- Collection of examination materials by Director of Nursing Services from Zonal offices (Friday proceeding exam).
- Receive packaged and intact answer scripts from schools within few days of conclusion of examination.
- Central Script Marking under strict supervision.
- Entry of scores.
- Collation of results.
- Processing of results.
- Presentation of result to Board for approval for release.
- Release to Proprietors, Schools and DNS.
Note: Candidates who have had two sittings is expected to mandatorily undergo one year tutorial before presentation for the last attempt. Failure at the last attempt leads to ELIMINATION (Dismissal).
A single form that should be used by all candidates registering for any of the following;
- General Nurses
- Post Basic Nurses
Click here to read or download How to apply for an Examination