The primary objectives of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria are to ensure high quality of Nursing and Midwifery education in Nigeria, maintain high standard of professional nursing and midwifery practice and enforce discipline within the profession.
Broadly, the Council’s functions are related to those of designing, implementing and evaluating various nursing and midwifery educational programmes, of indexing, examination, registration, certification, licensure of professional nurses and midwives and monitoring standards of nursing and midwifery practice in the Country.
Specifically, the Council’s functions are as follows:
- Index all categories of nursing and midwifery students on commencement of their training.
- Develop and review periodically, the different curricula utilized for the education of all categories of Nurses and Midwives.
- Co-operate with recognized bodies interested in conducting new schemes for Basic and Post Basic Education of Nurses and Midwives such as: National Universities Commission, World Health Organization, etc.
- Accredit all training institutions and clinical practice areas utilized for the education of all categories of Nurses and Midwives in Nigeria.
- Conduct Professional Examinations for all categories of Nurses and Midwives in Nigeria.
- Establish and maintain Registers of all persons qualified to practice the discipline of Nursing and Midwifery in Nigeria.
- Conduct Registration interviews for Nurses and Midwives trained outside Nigeria who are seeking to practice in Nigeria.
- Issue and update Professional Practicing Licenses every three years to all cadres of qualified Nurses and Midwives.
- Issue Professional Certificates to all cadres of Nurses and Midwives at the end of their training.
- Revoke and/or Restore Professional Certificates as applicable.
- Determine and maintain standards of knowledge and competencies in Nursing and Midwifery Education and Practice in Nigeria.
- Organize and Conduct Mandatory Continuing Professional and Educational Development Programmes for all cadres of Nurses and Midwives.
- Conduct and Promote Research in relevant areas of Nursing and Midwifery.
- Maintain discipline within the Nursing and Midwifery profession in Nigeria through the Nurses and Midwives Tribunal.
- Prosecute illegal Training Institutions.
- Regulate and control the practice of Nursing and Midwifery in all its ramifications.